DIESEL EXHAUST FLUID (DEF)
EURO 6, DIESEL ENGINES AND SELECTIVE CATALYTIC REDUCTION: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
We explain what Euro 6 emissions legislation means for our cars, our drivers and the environment.
WHAT IS EURO 6?
Euro 6 is a piece of European Legislation aimed at making cars more environmentally friendly by limiting their exhaust emissions. The legislation sets restrictions on how much nitrogen oxide (NOx) and hydrocarbon gases may be emitted per kilometre by a road vehicle.
Petrol and diesel cars are subject to different restrictions under the new Euro 6 legislation. For diesel cars, the permitted level of NOx emissions has been brought down to 80 mg/km (from 180 mg/km), while the permitted level of hydrocarbons emissions has been brought down to 170 mg/km (from 230 mg/km). The permitted level of NOx emissions for petrol cars remains at 60 mg/km, while the permitted level of hydrocarbons emissions remains at 100 mg/km.
Along with other car manufacturers, Jaguar is legally obligated to comply with these new regulations by the following dates:
- From 1st January 2015, all newly introduced vehicles must meet Euro 6 standards. This includes any new models on the market, for example: Jaguar XE
- Vehicles already on sale must comply with Euro 6 by 1st September 2015, but;
- Individual vehicles already on sale that were built by, and dispatched from, the manufacturer before 1st June 2015 can continue to be sold until 1st September 2016. However, the manufacturer must apply for derogation in these instances.
WHAT IS SELECTIVE CATALYTIC REDUCTION (SCR) TECHNOLOGY?
Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) technology is fitted to all Jaguar diesel vehicles from 2016 Model Year. It enables Jaguar to meet EU6 emissions legislation by reducing the levels of nitrogen oxide (NOx) emitted from the exhaust system by up to 90%. In addition to a new generation of catalytic converter, SCR Technology requires the use of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF).
WHAT IS DIESEL EXHAUST FLUID (DEF)?
DEF, also known as AdBlue®, AUS 32 and ARLA 32, is a non-toxic, colourless, odourless and non-flammable fluid. Stored in a dedicated tank in your car, DEF is injected into the exhaust system to clean exhaust gases. It breaks down nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions into harmless water vapour and nitrogen gas.
It is important that your Jaguar’s supply of DEF is maintained, as EU legislation means that you cannot start the engine without it. Your car’s message centre will give you advance warning when your DEF level is low and will alert you in plenty of time to book a refill. For mid-service top-ups, we are now offering an AdBlue® refill for £29.99 RRP to manufacturers recommended fill-level, regardless of the amount required*. If you have purchased a Jaguar Service Plan you can get a free refill from your local Retailer.
Please see terms below.
HOW WILL I KNOW IF MY DEF LEVELS ARE LOW?
The message centre displays a series of messages when the DEF level becomes low.
1. The first message states that the DEF level is at a level where a top up is advised
2. The second message is accompanied by an AMBER warning icon and states to refill the DEF tank
3. The third message starts a countdown of the distance remaining until the DEF tank is empty, after which the vehicle will fail to start
4. The final message is accompanied by a RED warning icon and is displayed when the distance remaining is zero and states that no further restarts will be possible until DEF is added to the tank
NOTE: When the DEF level becomes low, a notification message displays in the message centre. Refill the DEF tank at the earliest opportunity. A Jaguar Retailer/Authorised Repairer can be contacted to arrange a full DEF refill. If required, DEF can be topped up using non-drip refill bottles available from a Jaguar Retailer/Authorised Repairer. An average consumption of DEF is 500 miles (800km) /1 litre. However, consumption can vary greatly depending on your driving style, the weather and the condition of the road.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
*TERMS AND CONDITIONS
*Offer available at participating Jaguar Retailers / Authorised Repairers. Fee for DEF / AdBlue® check and top up to manufacturer fill level is £29.99 RRP per vehicle on a single visit. Eligible on Jaguar vehicles only. Please contact your retailer to book in advance to avoid disappointment.